Saturday, May 26, 2007

Bits and Pieces: Strength

"But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly, that now at last you have revived your concern for me; indeed, you were concerned before but lacked opportunity. Not that I speak from want for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need. I can do all things through Him who strengthens me," (Philippians 4:10---13).

* What an added dimension these words take on when we realize that Paul wrote them from prison! Through years of finding the Savior faithful, Paul could rejoice in Him, be content with His provision, and assert that God's strength enabled him to accomplish everything God gave him to do.
Oh, that we, too, would learn such dependence and contentment in our strong Savior!

* Contrary to what one would normally expect in a letter written from a prison cell, Paul's letter to the Philippians is filled with rejoicing, contentment, and confidence in the Savior's provision.
What an indictment is his attitude on all our complaining amid much comfort and ease! And even when the Lord does allow times of trial and testing, in His strength we can still accomplish His will.

* These verses are remarkable for what is absent from them--- although written from prison, there is no anger, no bitterness, nor self-pity whatsoever. Rather, through the Lord's strengthening, Paul speaks of rejoicing, being content, and divine enablement.
May the Lord Jesus be our strength to respond to adverse circumstances with the same Christ-like attitude as Paul.

No comments: