Thursday, May 16, 2013

"I, the LORD, do not change..."

"Oh Father,
Your Word is true, whether I feel like it, or not.  Although I am in constant flux, changing moods, changing ways, altering plans... yet Your Word knows no such adjustments, because it is Your Word, O unchanging One.  If You could change, so too, Your Word would vacillate, as well.  Praise to Your immutable Name!
Your infinite constancy infers the same for Your Word, Your truth... Your Word can no more change than can You.  
Were You to change, Father, it would have to be for the better or worse...impossibilities considering You are absolutely perfect.  
Why is this so precious?  The promises, with which Your Word is replete, are utterly trustworthy.  If You could change, where would be the dependability of Your promises?  Gone.  
Too, Your immutability is precious because upon it rests my assurance of salvation.  And, so much of my salvation's joy is tied to confidence in Your Word's reflection of Your nature.  Should, like the mythological gods of ancient civilizations, You give Your Word, then take it back, then alter it to suit a capricious whim, salvation's assurance vanishes.  So, too, would joy.  
Yes, and the truth of Your immutability impacts Your Word's comfort regarding eternity.  Thank You, Father, for the assurance by the One who is the same yesterday, today, and forever, as He said, "I go to prepare a place for you. If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself, that where I am, there you may be also." (John 14:2c, 3)  
Such a thrill of confidence surges one's soul to know the character of the One making such promises!  "If it were not so, I would have told you."  Yes, blessed Master, You who cannot change, lie, or be other than You are, would have told us were it not so.  Praise to Your faithful Name!
In Your Son's Name I rejoice,
Amen."

No comments: