Friday, October 26, 2012

Psalm 143:8, 10

"Let me hear Your lovingkindness in the morning; For I trust in You; Teach me the way in which I should walk; For to You I lift up my soul.  Teach me to do Your will, For You are my God; Let Your good Spirit lead me on level ground."

 Little wonder the writer of this prayer is known as a man after God's own heart-- such humility, opening his soul to his LORD with a limitless willingness to be taught, with a fearless trust in his sovereign God, holding back nothing in his yearning to learn his Maker's ways.  

Notice, David does not put off meeting with the greatest Love of his life... it is the fresh stillness of the morning when best he can hear his Beloved speak.  "In the morning, O LORD, You will hear my voice; In the morning I will order my prayer to You and eagerly watch," (Psalm 5:3).  Here is waiting without drudgery, waiting with undeterred delight, waiting with eagerness to listen, learn, and obey.


Why the morning?  Why the first thing of the day? For one thing, David couldn't help it!  His love wouldn't, couldn't wait to come into God's presence. What an indictment on our lukewarmness.  How often do we have such intensity & eagerness?


Too, very often there is spiritual warfare in the night...dreams come unbidden, flaming missiles of the evil one, turmoil of spirit that makes morning a welcome relief.  Nothing is more encouraging, more heartening, than to draw near to the throne of grace, with the cleansing work of the Savior's blood, and the filling of the Holy Spirit providing an almost tactile surge of joy in the inner man!

Also, the Lord Jesus, filled as His days were with ministries of healing, teaching, discipling and traveling, found the early morning most conducive to meeting with His Father (Mark 1:35).  If the Master knew it to be the best time for hearing the Father's lovingkindness, then we as life-long learners in His spiritual classroom should pay attention and emulate His modeling.  May He grant grace to humble ourselves and do so.




No comments: